Join us for a #FutureFortified Webinar with GAIN | 7th April 2021
On April 7, 2021, join Saskia Osendarp, Executive Director of the Micronutrient Forum, as she moderates the 3rd webinar Fortifying the supply chain – addressing premix challenges in the GAIN #FutureFortified series. The webinar will address the challenges associated with pre-mixes through presenations and conversations with representatives from Stern Vitamin, BASF, Hexagon Nutrition, the GAIN Premix Facility and voices from Tanzania and Mozambique.
Over the last two decades, the premix industry has evolved to meet the challenge of supplying premix to countries in support of national fortification programs and ensuring staple foods can be fortified. Yet, COVID-19 has caused an unprecedented global crisis, with severe impacts on the lives of the most vulnerable. Efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19 have disrupted food systems and global trade. Lockdown and quarantine strategies to mitigate the spread of the virus and their concurrent economic impact have made nutritious foods less accessible and less affordable, driving up global hunger and malnutrition.
The fortification supply chain has itself been impacted by the pandemic. Challenges experienced by premix suppliers and fortified food producers include:
- foreign exchange shortages
- limited sources for some raw materials (making the supply chain vulnerable to disruptions)
- the concentration of premix suppliers in specific geographies
- huge increases in air freight and shipping costs, and container shortages due to COVID-related trade imbalances.
- Moving forward, how can vulnerabilities in the premix supply chain be addressed to make it more resilient to external shocks?
- What actions can vitamin and mineral producers and premix blenders take to ensure a reliable, affordable supply of vitamin and mineral premix to support fortification programs in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs)?
- What actions can be taken to strengthen and protect local access to premix, especially by small and medium-sized producers of fortified staple foods?