#PoweringWomen Around the World
View the Film Series:
At the Micronutrient Forum, we see women as active agents within their homes, communities and nations. The wellbeing of women is essential to the strength of families, communities and nations – and this resilience is being tested now more than ever.
Women keep our global food system working – they are the entrepreneurs, farmers, laborers, food producers, vendors, marketers, caterers, chefs, transporters, agribusiness innovators and occupy many unseen roles.
While working hard in these roles, women are also caretakers - for their children, their families, the ill, the elderly – ensuring that everyone has enough food, water and shelter.
Yet, in 2022, women make less money than men and occupy fewer positions of leadership, particularly in food value chains. As things stand, across countries of all income status, women often eat last and least. During the pandemic, women and children have been hardest hit.
Together, we can turn things around for women. Good nutrition for women underpins their resilience and immunity and is foundational for the development of communities and nations. Good nutrition enables girls and adolescents to reach higher academic potential, higher earnings, and is correlated with other empowerment measures such as marrying later.
Women have higher nutritional needs than men – women need x 2.5 more iron to stay healthy.
40% of pregnant women suffer from anemia worldwide (WHO)
4.8 M additional pregnant women will suffer from anemia due to COVID-19 (ST4N)
75% underweight women in Sub-Saharan Africa live with men who are not underweight (World Bank)
At MNF, we are working to inspire action on the ground and change global public policy.
Examples of how we are standing up for women and their nutrition:
- Supporting WHO and UNICEF in launching the Anaemia Action Alliance.
- In 2021, successfully convened stakeholders prior to the UN FSS around the need for a multi-sectoral approach to achieve the SDG anaemia reduction target, and supported WHO and UNICEF in preparing the N4G commitment to launch the Anaemia Action Alliance.
- Hosting Standing Together for Nutrition – a consortium of global experts that provides cross-sectoral estimates on how the pandemic is impacting women’s nutrition.
- Hosting The Healthy Mothers Health Babies Consortium – which aims to accelerate maternal nutrition and the effective uptake of Multiple Micronutrient Supplementation (MMS) during pregnancy.
- In 2021, supported the global nutrition community for bold and SMART commitment-making by the donor and host governments, philanthropy, multilaterals, the private sector, civil society, innovative funds, and other stakeholders within the UN Food Systems Summit and Tokyo’s Nutrition for Growth Summit.
Short Video: N4G Powering Women, Promising Futures – Launching a Nutrition Movement at N4G (Dec. 2021)
- Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Blog: Big Win for Mothers Worldwide (Apr. 2022)
- Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Advocacy Toolkit (2022)
- Standing Together for Nutrition Gender Policy Brief (2022)
- Standing Together for Nutrition Crisis Upon Crises Policy Brief (June 2022)
- Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies Knowledge Bytes on MMS (2022)
- Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies 2021 Annual Report (2022)
Health Talks Event Video: Women Nutrition: Resilience and Recovery on the Road to 2030
Malnutrition is sexist: The determinants of nutrition for women and girls, RESULTS UK